The Chief Executive Officer of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly says the nation’s capital is in a better position than it was when the June 3, 2015 disaster struck.
Dr Oko Vanderpuiye touted that considering the dredging activities ongoing in the rivers of Odaw and Korle Lagoon, Accra is better positioned to handle floods with little or no casualty.
The AMA boss disclosed this at a news conference held at the Assembly’s head office to brief the media about activities earmarked to mark the 1st Anniversary of the disaster.
An estimated 154 Ghanaians lost their lives in a combined fire and flooding disaster on June 3, 2015 at the Kwame Nkrumah circle in Accra. Properties worth millions of Ghana cedis were destroyed in the inferno following the explosion of the Goil Filling Station situated close to the Vienna City Center.
Touching on the casualties suffered on that day, Dr Vanderpuiye said one female student by name Rita lost her life while preparing to sit for her exams.
He said he was called and briefed about the student’s demise when he was returning home after the International Mayors’ Conference held in Accra first week in June.
“I still have the girl’s picture hanging in my office,” he said, adding it helps him to connect to that fateful day.
He also used the opportunity to tell Ghanaians the level of support the Assembly has been giving to survivors of the incident.
According to him, the Assembly gave some financial support to 10 of the survivors early last week and they are hoping to support another badge in the coming days.
On his part, boss of the National Petroleum Authority (NPA), Moses Asaga, disclosed as part of the recommendation of the 5-Member committee set up to investigate the incident, the Authority has put in place strict measures before licensing filling stations.
He said hence filling stations would have to be 50 metres apart from each other.