Home / News / Fishermen In Keta Receive Outboard Motors

Fishermen In Keta Receive Outboard Motors

The Minster of Fisheries and Aqua Culture Development, Madam Hanny Sherry Ayittey, has commended fishermen in the Volta Region for adhering to best practices in fishing.

She said the fishermen deserved commendation for their commitment to assisting to preserve the country’s fish resources.

Presentation of outboard motors

Madam Ayittey was speaking at a ceremony in Keta last Wednesday where 103 outboard motors subsidised by the government were distributed to fishermen in the municipality as part of a presidential initiative in support of the fishing industry.

The fishermen paid 60 per cent of the cost of an  outboard motor, priced at GH¢12,500, while the government absorbed the remaining 40 per cent via the district assembly’s common fund.

Apart from this support, she said, the government would also boost the supply of premix fuel as a means of enhancing fishing activities during the fishing season.

Credit Facility For Fishermen

She said the government was working on other initiatives with the aim of improving the livelihoods of fisherfolks.

“Last week, Parliament signed two agreements for Ghana. Under one of the agreements, the country would be able to access funds from the United Nations to support the activities of our fishermen,” she said .

Madam Ayittey said part of the fund, when accessed, would be turned into a revolving credit facility that would enable fishermen to have access to money to expand their businesses.

 

Source: radioxyzonline.com

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: