Home / Sports / Gareth Southgate: It Was Important To Step Up For England After Allardyce Exit

Gareth Southgate: It Was Important To Step Up For England After Allardyce Exit

Gareth Southgate said it was “important to step forward” and take charge of England following Sam Allardyce’s departure as manager.

Former defender Southgate, 46, steps up from the under-21 job and will lead the senior team for the next four games.

Allardyce left his post on Tuesday following a newspaper investigation claiming he offered advice on how to “get around” rules on player transfers.

“The future is certainly bright for this England team,” said Southgate.

In June, Southgate said he had no interest in succeeding Roy Hodgson as boss of the senior team.

Meanwhile, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger and Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe, who have both been linked with the job, have reiterated their commitment to their respective clubs.

Howe described the England vacancy as “the ultimate job” on Thursday, while Wenger said he is “focused 100% on Arsenal”.

Southgate has managed England Under-21s since 2013, and was previously in charge of Middlesbrough from 2006 to 2009.

After stepping down, former Bolton, Newcastle, West Ham and Sunderland manager Allardyce said “entrapment had won” and his actions were a “silly thing to do”.

Southgate added: “It’s obviously been a difficult situation for the FA but it was important that there was some stability and continuity for everybody.

“So, from my point of view, it was important to step forward and give us the best possible chance to win these games.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge and I’m confident that we can get good results. We have an excellent group of players.”

Meanwhile, Wenger again committed his future to Arsenal after speculation linking him with the post.

Wenger, 66, said in July he would “never rule it out” but the Frenchman insisted on Wednesday he will remain at Emirates Stadium.

“I am focused 100% on Arsenal and my priority will always be to this club,” Wenger told BT Sport. “I will have to assess how well I do until the end of the season.”

Bournemouth manager Howe, who has also been linked with the job, said he was “absolutely committed” to the club.

“It’s not been a great week for football,” he added. “It’s not ideal that the England situation has come up again, but I won’t get distracted.”

Former England striker Michael Owen believes the full-time job is Southgate’s to lose.

“If he wins all four games it will take a brave man to say ‘let’s change it now’,” said Owen. “Possession is nine tenths of the law, isn’t it?

“I’ve played under lots of managers and, don’t get me wrong, they are a very important part of club football and international football, but when you’ve got so many good players it’s more important the players click.”

USA boss Jurgen Klinsmann ruled himself out, writing on Twitter there was “no truth to the rumours regarding England”, while Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez said there was “no chance” he would be leaving the Magpies.

Former Chelsea winger Pat Nevin told BBC Radio 5 live the England job would break, rather than make, a manager.

“If you are under 50, it could ruin your career,” he said. “It is like being the Prime Minister – most walk out smiling because they are glad it is over. Expectation is currently low, but that changes quickly.”

Source: BBC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *