One of the High Court judges sacked by President John Mahama has indicated his plans to contest the dismissal in court.
Lead counsel for Justice Ernest Obimpeh, who was dismissed Tuesday January 19, 2016, has said that: “The outcome of the decision of the committee is not only unjust, but also unfair and we will contest it at the proper forum. The committee is not the last point of judicial adjudication. The final judicial authority resides in a court of competent jurisdiction,” Ken Anku said in an interview with Accra100.5FM’s Chief Jerry Forson Wednesday January 20, 2016.
Mr Anku holds a strong view that the dismissal of his client, based on the recommendations of the judicial disciplinary committee, was wrong.
“They don’t have the judicial authority. Why should we leave it when the process which my client was asked to go through, has not been fair? When you allow one person to be violating the constitution here and there, and you won’t find any judge to stand up and say: ‘No!’, all the judges have now been whipped into line to do the bidding of one person, what goes up must come down. Nobody has been the Chief Justice forever, you have a terminable term and it will soon come to pass,” he added.
Justices John Ajet-Nasam and Ernest Obimpeh, who, with 32 other judges, were caught on video taking bribes to warp justice, have been under investigations since news of their corrupt act broke late last year.
The investigation was conducted by undercover journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas.
Their sacking, on the orders of the President, follows the removal of 20 out of 21 Circuit Court judges and District Magistrates investigated by the Disciplinary Committee of the Judicial Council for their involvement in the bribery scandal as exposed by Anas and his Tiger Eye PI firm.
A statement signed by Judicial Secretary Justice Opoku Acheampong said: “President John Mahama has directed the removal of Justice John Ajet-Nasam and Justice Ernest Obimpeh from office as justices of the High Court on grounds of stated misbehaviour.”