The Greater Accra Passenger Transport Executive (GAPTE), managers of the Quality Bus System (QBS), has given assurance that the company will not compromise on the safety of passengers who will board the “Aayalolo” buses once it resumes full operation by the middle of October.
Mr Gyamera said this during a media simulation tour of Accra.
The exercise was part of measures to remove the perception that the buses were not safe as well as allow the media to ask questions on the QBS.
On Monday, September 26, 2016, the QBS embarked on a pilot operation of its buses and gave free rides to the public.
The exercise was halted temporarily the next day after the QBS was criticised for hurriedly dispatching the buses onto the road without registering them and securing an insurance cover for them .
Buses registered and insured
Mr Gyamera said 10 out of a total of 38 buses had so far been registered and insured. He said the remaining buses would be registered before the buses resume full operation this month.
“Other challenges such as the improper logging system that is expected to provide information on the designated bus stops are also being addressed,” he said.
Apart from issues over registration and insurance of the buses, he said measures were also being put in place to ensure that people “who board the buses are safe and adequately protected”.
“The drivers are well-trained and properly coached to understand and communicate effectively with passengers in case they encounter any difficulties,” he said.
Explaining the working systems of the buses, Mr Gyamera said passengers would have to purchase e-cards that are pre-loaded with cash to enable them to access the service.
“The cards, once bought, could be used on all the buses in the fleet. Ticketing booths would be provided along the bus routes from where passengers would be picked,” he added.